Hotel staff ‘warned about Glasgow stabbing suspect’s mental state’ before attack

Composite image of Park Inn hotel and emergency services outside
Residents at the Park Inn are understood to have reported concerns about the knifeman’s mental state prior to the stabbing (Picture: PA/Getty)

 

Staff at a Glasgow hotel where a man launched a knife attack were reportedly warned he was mentally unstable the night before he struck.

Residents at the Park Inn had reported concerns about his mental state prior to the stabbing on Friday afternoon, according to Sky News.

The hotel had been closed due to the coronavirus pandemic but was housing asylum seekers. It is understood the suspect, who was shot dead by an armed officer, was an asylum seeker from Sudan who had been living in the UK for about six months.

A Sky News report claims he began to ‘behave erratically’ leading up to the attack, which left six people including a police officer injured.

Other Sudanese asylum seekers had become scared of him and reportedly made their concerns known to a Glasgow-based liaison worker who deals with asylum issues.

Police attend the scene of a fatal stabbing incident at the Park Inn Hotel in central Glasgow
Glasgow city centre was on lockdown on Friday after a man went on a stabbing spree (Picture: AFP)

 

The liaison worker reportedly phoned staff at the hotel reception desk at 11pm on Thursday night.

The suspect had been complaining about living conditions in the hotel and was having particular difficulty with noise.

It is understood that in the minutes before the assault, he had a telephone consultation with an immigration solicitor.

The Glasgow-based liaison worker was part of that call, and warned the solicitor about the suspect’s mental state. The solicitor said he would pass on the concerns to the ‘safeguarding’ team at the Home Office, set up to protect people in vulnerable circumstances.

However, shortly after ending his call with the lawyer, the man launched the knife attack inside the hotel at 12.50pm.

The police officer injured has been named as 42-year-old police constable David Whyte.

The other victims have yet to be named, but police said they are all males aged 17, 18, 20, 38 and 53.

The incident is not being treated as terror-related.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Follow us:
FacebooktwitterlinkedintumblrinstagramFacebooktwitterlinkedintumblrinstagram

Share this:
FacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmailFacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail