Liverpool fans celebrated in their thousands on the city’s waterfront despite pleas from the mayor and Merseyside club to avoid large gatherings.
Supporters rejoiced outside Anfield until the early hours on Thursday after Manchester City’s defeat to Chelsea confirmed Liverpool as Premier League champions and celebrations have entered a second day.
It is Liverpool’s first Premier League title in their history and ends a 30-year wait for a first division trophy for the football mad city.
But as videos began to emerge on social media of celebrations down by the pier, Liverpool mayor Joe Anderson urged supporters to return home.
‘I am really concerned about scenes at Pier Head tonight,’ he said.
‘I appreciate LFC fans want to celebrate but please, for your own safety, and that of others, go home and celebrate at home.
‘Covid-19 is still a major risk and our city has already lost far too many people to the illness.’
Coronavirus measures are still in place in Liverpool and across the UK, but Jamie Carragher decided to take part in the latest celebrations.
A fan among the crowds snapped a picture with Carragher, who was a one-man club as a player and made over 700 appearances for Liverpool.
Flares and fireworks were set off down by the pier as thousands of fans ignored coronavirus warnings to sing and dance while enjoying the incredible weather that has hit the UK in recent days.
Liverpool players celebrated together on Thursday night, but didn’t interact with fans and the club backed the mayor’s call for supporters to stop gathering on mass.
‘Celebrate safely Reds and respect our city’s public health,’ the club said on Twitter.
Klopp’s stars faced criticism for ignoring social distancing rules in their celebrations, but the German coach defended the decision to gather his squad for watch Chelsea v Man City.
Premier League players are tested twice a week for coronavirus and Liverpool are yet to have a positive result at the club.
‘I wasn’t involved in the planning but I didn’t say ‘no we cannot do it’. I think we decided about that after the Crystal Palace game. We were in the hotel already the night before,’ he said.
‘After the Crystal Palace game we slept there like we did after the Everton game for recovery reasons and stuff like this.
‘We played the game went to the hotel and thought ‘OK this is the only chance we have to watch the game together’. We had a barbecue watching the game and then all the rest happened.
‘That’s true I can understand that (getting criticism) but we are in a bubble so that means we are all tested twice a week.
‘No other person was in there, no kitchen staff from the hotel, nobody. It was only us who are now tested for five weeks, twice a week with no positive case so far.
‘That’s it. If people want to criticise that that’s not my life I have to take these kind of things always but we thought it’s ok to do so.’
For more stories like this, check our sport page.Follow us: