A toddler lost three of his fingers and suffered third-degree burns after sticking his hands into his family’s fire pit. Troy Levenhagen, from Vergas in Minnesota, reached into the pit to grab a stick earlier this month, the night after his family had lit it, then left it to burn itself out.
And although no flames were visible, the embers of the pit were still extremely hot, with 20 month-old Troy injured as soon as he touched its contents. The youngster’s father Alex told KARE: ‘They said right away, it’s all third-degree, full thickness burns.
‘He actually lost this pinky (finger), all but the last bone of the ring finger, and the tip of the middle (finger) from the depth of the burns.’ Explaining how his son had been injured, Alex added: ‘He put the left (hand) down first. That started to burn, so he put the right one down.
‘At that point, the (fire pit) ring was high enough that his feet actually came off the ground and he put all his body pressure down on his hands. That’s why they burned so deep.
‘He was touching at least 600-700 degree coals.’
Troy was pulled from the pit by his eight year-old sister. His family rushed him to their local emergency room.
Doctors there stabilized Troy, before rushing him to the Hennepin Healthcare’s Burn Unit, where he has spent the last month having skin grafts and recovering from his ordeal.
Despite the trauma of his ordeal, the youngster should make a good recovery with rehab.
Alex Levenhagen says he’s shared his son’s story to warn others of the potential dangers of fire pits – and urge them to use water to cool them down after finishing with them.
He urged: ‘Don’t let that coal bed sit there.’
For more stories like this, check our news pageFollow us: